In 1934, Chicago was one of the first regions added to the FGI organization. Our first Regional Director was Mrs. Ford Carter. Our region has a history of hosting our own Rising Stars Awards, Night of Stars and Retail Symposiums. Today, our members enjoy programming in all fashion / beauty / interiors segments, including networking events, trend events, symposiums, workshops, panels, dinners, and virtual events.
Recent Region award recognitions including but not limited to:
- FGI Membership Merit Award in June of 2022
- FGI Special Programming Award in June of 2018
Bhavana Jain and Maryanne Grisz with FGI Chicago Membership Merit Award.
Masha Titievsky DeHaan and Jess Crane with FGI Chicago Special Programming Award.
Some of our recent events include:
- FGI Triple Member Meetup, a virtual networking event in conjunction with FGI Atlanta and FGI St. Louis, in July of 2022.
- Fashion Law Panel at AIBI Chicago in June of 2014. Moderator: Xochil Herrera Scheer of The Chicago Pattern Maker. Panelists: Maria Vathis national commercial litigator, and Lema Korshid of Fuksa Khorshid, LLC.
- Beyond a Checked Box: Authentically Leaning into Diversity & Inclusion, at Select Monel Management in April of 2022. Moderator: Melissa Gamble of Columbia College. Panelists: Shannon Lang of Select Model Management, Cathy Kelley of Cintas, Bhavana Jain of BHAV, Amber McCulloch of Style Plus Curves.
- Fashion Presentation FW22 | In Collaboration with Neiman Marcus, Michigan Avenue, in April of 2022. Mini presentation of Spring 2022 trends by Louis Bisceglie of Neiman Marcus. Followed by FGI Communique Fashion Presentation video.
2022 Fashion Presentation with Louis Bisceglie of Neiman Marcus
Some of our past event highlights include:
- Converge: Elevating Fashion & Retail with Technology at WeWork River North in June of 2018. This was an award-winning event featuring a panel discussion about the impact of technology on today’s product development and retail fashion industries. Attendees learned how consumers are driving today’s shopping experiences & how technology is adapting to fulfill their needs. Moderator: Cayla Weisberg InvestHER Ventures Panelists: Lacey Bell President & Founder Fireflyline; Eric Sheinkop CEO desirelist; Sarah Perkins CEO & Co-founder DesignerShare; Alex Jovanovich MD, DermaCare.
- The Age of Collaboration: A Retail Symposium at Columbia College Chicago in February of 2018. Susanna Homan, Editor-in-Chief & Publisher of Chicago Magazine, lead a panel discussion featuring Liz Kammel Tilatti, CEO, ZipFitDenim; Erin Falbo, Marketing & Business Development Manager, Yorktown Center; Carson Smith, Photo Art Director, Schawk; & Melanie Bolin, Co-Founder, Mer-Sea & Co. Keynote speakers: Gwen Morrison, CEO, The Store, The Americas & Australia, WPP plc Global Retail Practice; & Brien Feit, Owner, BMF Media. Speakers shared how the industry is interacting in unique, unexpected, and surprising ways to master the modern retail experience. To thrive and stay relevant in retail, we must evolve in the social and mobile fields, and use data trends to engage in consumer’s lives, both online and offline.
- Breakfast & Conversation: Angela Missoni & Ken Downing at The Gwen Michigan Ave in November of 2017. FGI hosted a breakfast and conversation with Angela Missoni to celebrate her 20th anniversary as the creative director of her family’s brand. Chicago’s most notable fashion influencers and enthusiasts had the rare opportunity to learn about the history and future of the Italian fashion house directly from women responsible for modernizing and globalizing the family fashion label. SVP and Fashion Director of Neiman Marcus, Ken Downing will lead the conversation with Angela Missoni on her continuous dedication to her parent’s brilliant creation.
- The 9th Rising Stars Awards at The James Hotel in September of 2014 which honored nominees for their innovation, creativity & accomplishments in Accessories, Beauty, Interiors/Home, Men’s, Retail & Women’s Apparel. The event also featured a silent auction benefiting the FGI Scholarship fund for college students pursuing a career in the fashion industry. Winners: Accessories – JGEREN; Beauty – Claudio Riaz, Inc.; Interiors / Home – Brynn Olson; Men’s – J. Toor; Retail – Judy Maxwell Home; Women’s – Lagi Nadeau.
Breakfast & Conversation: Angela Missoni & Ken Downing at The Gwen Michigan Ave in November of 2017.